Metaphors of Movement Training - With Andrew T. Austin
Metaphors of Movement takes the guess work out of change work. It is a precision tool to help you home in on the client’s exact stuck point and how they are maintaining their problem state.
Metaphors of Movement has been taught across the world, including India, United Kingdom, USA, Poland, Sweden, Holland, Hungary, Israel and Japan. Attendees have included doctors and psychiatrists, counsellors, psychotherapists, NLP practitioners and trainers, hypnotherapists, prison and probation officers, police officers, teachers, security personnel and business leaders.
What you will learn
- Connecting client's to behaviours that commonly occur outside of their conscious awareness by:
- Exploring the mental landscape ("the map")
- Examining the coping behaviours employed within this mental map
- Testing the effectiveness of these behaviours in the real world ("the territory")
- Designing and teaching more suitable behaviours to be applied in the client's map and territory
The Metaphors of Movement Training Levels
The structure within metaphor is hierarchical, and so it seems logical to structure the nature of the Metaphors of Movement work along the lines of this structure. The training is progressive with hints for the higher levels given in each of the trainings. These levels reflect the hierarchy, additional training modules as “Masterclasses” (such as the trainer’s training, The Dream Experiment, The Hero’s Journey Experience, and “The Initiation”) exist outside of this hierarchy.
Level 1. The Foundation
An overview of the structure of MoM and the delivery of the change work process. Level 1 is a two day training that equips trainees to safely practice basic content-free MoM sessions for remedial change work purposes.
- Introduction to The MoM Process
- Full outline of the MoM process and session structure.
- Neurological rationale for the processes.
- The Structure of Outcomes.
- The Obstructions: external rules and values.
- The Containers: container metaphors, inherited status, families and long term problems.
- The Burdens: responsibilities and guilts.
- The Bubbles: beliefs and values.
Level 2. The Metaphoric Hierarchy
Level 2 is an exploration in how different metaphors logically lead to new metaphors, idioms and simile and how these can be arranged hierarchically. The overall theme of this level is that of relationships and emotional health. Level 2 training completes the practitioner status initiated at level 1.
- Introduction to relationships and creating analogical and generative change
- The Elevations: status games and awkward positions.
- Relational Positions: where we stand in relation to others.
- The Fulfilments: emotional trading and transactions.
- The Hurts: emotional injury and emotional health.
- Dream work and dream analysis.
- Introduction to Metaphors of Time.
- Introduction to Metaphors of Business and Money.
Level 3. The Ground Work
This intermediate level training is an exploration of how we support ourselves and the interaction within the metaphoric environment. This elucidates the generative change work principles taught at level 2 and provides a useful extension for creating generative change.
- How, Where and Why We Stand
- The Supports (anatomy and embodiment): supporting one’s self, receiving support, supporting others.
- The Supports (environmental): the ground on which we walk.
- The Cause: why we stand and what we stand for.
- The Leg Work: the relationship between the body and the ground.
- Symbolism, meaning and interaction.
- The Immersions: immersion metaphor.
- The body and physical health metaphors.
- Stage, acting and performance metaphor.
- Peak performance.
- Multiple identities, masks and illusions.
- Chunking up the immediate metaphoric environment to global proportions as a projection from our psyche.
- Anthropomorphisation in metaphoric symbolism.